Thursday, October 11, 2012

BEAUTY REVIEW: OPI Nail Lacquer in Chicago Champagne Toast

SOURCE:  Drugstore.com
I am trying my best to stick with my plan to make use of all the nail polishes I have accumulated.  Honestly, what is the sense in buying all these lovely bottles of polish without ever using them?  Every time I see big displays of OPI, Essie, or Sephora polishes, I am overcome with excitement.  I slowly feel my willpower cave in and my body being magnetically drawn to the display.  My eyes are dazzled with all of the pretty shades.  It's actually really sad to realize that I am such a vulnerable and gullible target consumer.  But, I digress.

During a recent sidewalk sale at the mall (again, I am such a sucker!), I picked up a couple of OPI polishes, including this classic favorite in "Chicago Champagne Toast".  I've been a fan of this color for a long time.  In fact, it was one of the first shades I used when I sported my long acrylic nails.  Yes, I used to have acrylic nails when I was a poor starving law student until I realized that one of the reasons I was a poor starving law student was because I was spending money every two weeks to get my nails filled, filed, and polished.

"Chicago Champagne Toast" is described on the OPI website as a "fine pink champagne with an understated shine".  I'm not sure if that description is totally accurate because the polish looks more peachy than pink to me and the shine is pretty frosty.  Well, you be the judge by looking at the picture of my finished nails.

OPI's "Chicago Champagne Toast"
THE PROS:
  • Performance:  This polish is opaque and I found that only two coats are sufficient.  I used a base coat (Revlon's Quick Dry Base Coat) and a top coat (Seche Vite) to complete my manicure.  Due to the frosty finish, you need to make sure that you apply your polish carefully.  The polish stands up to the daily wear and tear and usually lasts on my nails for about one week before noticeable chips and cracks.
  • Affordability:  OPI polishes are not cheap, but cheaper than some of the high end polishes, such as Butter, Chanel, and Nails Inc.  For the quality, you get a solid product at a reasonable price.
THE CONS:
  •  Color:  I am not sure whether my issue with color should be under its own separate category or lumped under the performance category.  However, as much as I love this color, I swear that the color in my most recent purchased bottle is different from the color in an older bottle.  Maybe it is just me, but I remember "Chicago Champagne Toast" as being on the nude side rather than pink/peachy.
  • Availability:  OPI polishes are only available at salons.  However, now that OPI also makes the polishes for Sephora, you can find OPI polishes at any mall or outlet mall.  My biggest complaint is that OPI has so many limited edition polish lines that unless you fall in love with a color that is part of OPI's Classic Line, you may need to wait and find a dupe in a subsequent collection.  Luckily "Chicago Champagne Toast" is part of OPI's Classic Line.
Hmm...so with two pro points and two con points, it looks like a tie.  However, as I stated before, this is one of my all time favorite OPI polishes and therefore, this polish receives a thumbs up from me!

2 comments:

  1. I like the color. It looks very good on your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They changed the danged color! It used to be very neutral and taupe-y colored. In the past it was NOT AT ALL PINK! Why oh why would they take a beautiful silvery goldenish color with just a hint of grey-purplish taupe and make it PINK?!?! There are a GAZILLION pinks out there by OPI and every other polish maker and so few lovely go with anything neutrals. It used to be classy & beautiful. Now it is a garish color unable to decide if it should be pink or peach or bronze or just UGH! Bring back the REAL CC Toast!!! This new color THING is hideous!

    ReplyDelete