Friday, October 19, 2012

BEAUTY REVIEW: Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black

SOURCE:  Drugstore.com
I've been doing a lot of nail polish reviews lately, so I thought I would shake things up a bit by selecting another type of beauty product to review.  I am still in the process of slowly cleaning out and reorganizing my beauty products.  I admit that I've kept some of these products way too long, but only for the purpose of posting a beauty review before tossing them out.

Revlon's ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen is one of those products that I have been keeping to review.  As you all know, I am a fan of the felt tip liner.  For some reason, I'm not very good at applying eyeliner with a brush tip unless its the Physicians Formula's Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum.  Perhaps with more practice, I will be able to apply my eyeliner with a brush tip like a pro, but until that happens, I am more than satisfied with using a felt tip eyeliner.  Thus, Revlon's ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen seemed to fit my criteria and I had to try it, especially after some of the beauty gurus on YouTube raved about this product.

THE PROS:
  • Application:  The felt tip liner applies the product smoothly across the lash line, but I suggest using this product for only your upper lash line and using a pencil eyeliner to line your bottom lash line.  I use short small strokes along my lash line to apply the product.  The felt tip allows you to apply a fine to bold line depending on the look you want.  This is also a great product to easily achieve a cat eye look.
  • Availability:  Revlon cosmetic products are widely available at all major drugstore chains.  However, this seems to be a very popular product so stores tend to run out of this product fast, especially when Revlon products are on sale.
  • Price:  The felt tip liner retails for about $9 to $10, which is a deal considering the price of other high end eyeliners.
THE CONS:
  • Performance:  The eyeliner formula is not as dark as I would like it to be, even if it was in "blackest black", but it is darker than some other black eyeliners I've used before.  A huge drawback for me was that it is not waterproof.  It tends to smear on my lids, especially around the corners of my eyes where moisture tends to collect.  I also noticed a little bit of smearing under my bottom eyelid area.  Boo hiss.  I am not a fan of raccoon eyes.
  • Variety:  This eyeliner only comes in three colors:  Blackest Black, Black, and Blackened Brown.  Even though I usually use jet black eyeliners, having a wider variety of colors would probably make this product even more attractive.
Again, I have more pro points than con points, but the performance of a product is an paramount factor in my book when it comes to eyeliners.  I don't hate this product, but I am not totally in love with it either since I have other eyeliners that I feel perform better than this one.

1 comment:

  1. great review.. i think that ill pass on this one.. =)

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete