Monday, April 4, 2011

BEAUTY REVIEW: Goody "Spin Pin"

SOURCE: Amazon
I heard so many rave reviews from YouTube gurus about the Goody "Spin Pins," so you can imagine how eager I was to get my hands on these simple little wire tools.  Fortunately, Longs Drugs was having a 50% off sale on selected Goody products a couple of months ago, so I was able to find this hot ticket product.  In fact, I got the last box for brunettes.

The box contains two spin pins with instructions on how to use these pins to create a bun.  The spin pin is essentially a metal wire shaped into a cork screw with a open bottom and closed off top.  You create a bun by twisting the each spin pin starting with the open side on the top of the bun and from the bottom of the bun.  Just two spin pins will hold your bun together.  The instructions say for best results to use the pins without an elastic hair tie.  Just two spin pins are supposed to hold your bun securely.

For context, I have medium to long hair (my hair falls is just below my shoulder blades) with gradual (not chunky) layers.  The pins are relatively easy to insert into your bun, but you do need to be careful that the two do not become twisted and caught in each other (as cautioned in the instructions).  I tried a bun with and without a hair elastic.  I found that while my bun held more securely with an elastic tie, the spin pin can easily get caught in the hair tie.

If you are expecting to create a tight and perfect bun out of this product, then this is the wrong product for you.  These spin pins create a loose bun, and, due to the layers in my hair, created a ton of loose strands poking out of my bun.  While I liked the loose bun look, I didn't feel like these would hold my bun securely throughout the day and ended up placing a few extra bobby pins for some added insurance.

All in all, I thought these pins created a good look for me for the weekend or evening look (with a few extra bobby pins and lots of hair spray), but not so much for work.  My office enforces a strict dress code and a loose bun doesn't quite measure up to my office's standards as the donut bun would.  Thus, I am glad that I bought it, but can't totally rave about it either.  It all depends on the kind of look you are going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment