Thursday, February 17, 2011

BEAUTY REVIEW: Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black

I found out about this gel eyeliner from watching YouTube videos from popular makeup gurus.  Most of them  (not all, especially the MAC fans) spoke highly of this gel liner and recommended it as a cheaper alternative to the MAC gel liners.  Furthermore, reviews on Makeup Alley were also generally favorable, so I thought that I would give it a try.

I never used a gel liner before, so I was a bit skeptical at first and worried whether I would be able to apply it correctly.  I had a fear that I would have one eye with a thicker line than the other!  However, my first application went fine and I started to consider whether I should make the permanent move from my beloved L'Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner in Carbon Black (I never leave the house without it on!) to this product.  The consistency of the Maybelline gel liner was smooth and fairly easy to apply with the eyeliner brush provided in the package.  I was able to apply a dramatic thick cat eye line or a micro line for a clean look to enhance my eyelashes.  I had to apply the gel liner with small brush strokes to achieve a smooth line.

Unfortunately, I am not giving up my Lineur Intense Felt Tip Eyeliner just yet!  This gel liner is not very waterproof or smudge proof, and within no time at all, my liner would smear and by the end of the day I had a nice set of raccoon eyes.  I was finding myself constantly cleaning my eye area throughout the day.  Also, I could not get my eye line to come out with smooth and crisp lines.  Perhaps I need more practice or maybe a better gel liner (I don't know since this is the first gel liner I've used).  I went back to my L'Oreal felt tip eyeliner.  I don't regret buying this product, but will not probably buy this product again unless Maybelline comes out with a waterproof and smudge proof formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment