Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BOOB TUBE REVIEW: Hawaii Five-O "Powa Maka Moana" (Season 1, Episode 17)

I am a pretty dedicated Hawaii Five-O fan.  As a Hawaii resident, I enjoy watching the episodes to try to figure out where some of the scenes are filmed while pinpointing some flaws.  However, as the show progresses in its first season, the show writers are getting much more accurate and incorporating more island life to the show and dialogue.

Monday night's episode premiered with a buzz due to real life engaged celebrity couple, Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo guest starring.  Despite their pretty decent acting chops, I have to admit that the greatest buzz for me was seeing the original 1974 Mercury Marquis Brougham again that Jack Lord drove around the streets of Honolulu in the original Hawaii Five-O.  So, while the ads run pictures of Nick and Vanessa to promote the show, I prefer to post this picture of McGarrett and Danno with the famous car instead.  Although the car is clearly not running in this picture, it is actually still running after more than 200,000 logged miles.  The automobile was given by Jack Lord to his stunt double, John Nordlum after the original show ended, and Nordlum has taken care of "her" ever since.  This car reminds me of the monster cars that my grandparents and parents used to drive around town back then.  It took skyrocket gas prices and long gas lines at the pump in the 1970s for cars to go from monster-sized Buicks to compact-sized Hondas.  But, I digress.

All in all, I thought Monday night's show was pretty good and only took a small issue with Tongan pirates taking over a party boat and kidnapping a bunch of college kids for ransom.  Seriously, Tongan pirates?  Anyway, the story line developed further, so at the end, I wasn't left with a sour taste in my mouth.  Oh, and, since when do officers carry grenades in their vehicles?  I had to laugh at McGarrett running out of a Kalihi pawn shop to conveniently retrieve a grenade from the glove compartment of Danno's Camaro.  By the way, that silver Camaro is Danno's, right?  If so, why does McGarrett seem to do most of the driving?  McGarrett knows his way around the streets of Oahu better?  And, did Danno know that McGarrett was stashing grenades in his glove compartment?  Doesn't seem safe when Danno also drives his daughter Gracie around in that car.  But, I digress.

My favorite scene involved Kamekona (Taylor Wily) training for a sumo tournament by working out in a vinyl jumpsuit on the beach.  The show writers are doing a better job in developing Kamekona's character as Kono's and Chin Ho's characters (in my humble opinion) just don't provide enough local flavor.  By the way, his shave ice stand seems to be gaining more and more business as the show progresses through the season from a one-man operation by the beach to t-shirts, sidewalk stands, and employees.  Incidentally, Waiola is a small corner mom-and-pop store in Moiliili that serves up delicious and refreshing shave ice.  I wonder if Waiola has seen an increase in business since the show premiered.

Next week, Dane Cook guest stars on Hawaii Five-O as Danno's younger brother.  I'll be tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment