Friday, December 9, 2011

RAMBLE: Denim Fridays

SOURCE:  Google
I recently switched jobs and one of the perks of my new job is that we get to wear jeans on Friday!  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate casual Fridays.  While I appreciate the need to look and act in a professional manner, I also appreciate working in comfort.

Today I complemented my favorite pair of denim skinny jeans with a pair of five inch black peep toe Jessica Simpson platform heels (yes, I own a pair of Jessica Simpson shoes!), black camisole from Aeropostale, and tan and black horizontal half sleeve sweater from Style & Co.  I swear that I got so much done today because I was comfortable.  With jeans on, I find myself curled up comfortably in my office desk chair.  I don't feel the need to sit properly with my legs neatly crossed while making sure that my slip is not showing.  Don't get me wrong, I love to dress up for work, but I appreciate comfort too.

My previous job followed a strict dress code that explicitly stated that no denim of any kind was allowed, even denim jackets.  I admit that I was a bit of a rebel and wore tailored dark denim blazers.  The other piece of clothing that was banned was capri or ankle length pants.  While I understand prohibiting shorts or mini skirts at work, capri and ankle length pants are so much more comfortable and sensible for Hawaii's warmer climates.  Alas, my former boss is a traditional woman with a very strict mindset of how her employees represent the office and our profession.

While my new boss appreciates our profession and reminds us that we represent the office, he also recognizes comfort.  So, during our slower months of the year, we are allowed to wear denim jeans on Fridays, but of course within reason.  I usually bring a pair of slacks with me to work; just in case I need to meet with someone.  Other than that, I am essentially in my office getting my work done in comfort!

Well, I better enjoy is while it last because next month our busy season starts and we won't be allowed to wear jeans on Friday until May/June.  I plan to milk these last few Fridays of 2011 for all its worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment