Sunday, December 18, 2011

RAMBLE: Shopping Mayhem

SOURCE:  Google
It's that time of year again when everyone flocks to the malls to find that something special for the ones they love.  It's the favorite time of year for retail stores to sucker customers into buying their inventory by razzling and dazzling people with sales, bargains, and discounts--all just in time for Christmas.  I know, I sound like a bit of a Grinch, but honestly, I'm not.

I love the sights and sounds of Christmas.  I have a Christmas tunes playlist on my iPod.  I decorate my office with jingle bells.  I embrace the spirit of giving.  However, there are things that I am not a fan, such as the Christmas shopping crowds, the lack of parking, and all the stress that results from Christmas shopping.  I truly believe that people turn their brains off when they are stuck in the middle of a crowded department store.  All reasoning seems to fly out the window as people stress over what to buy for Aunty Martha and debating whether to buy a gift for Uncle Charlie even though they know that he never gives anything in return.

Today, I braved the mall with the determination to finish my Christmas shopping once and for all this year.  No excuses.  I only had a few people left on my list with ideas of what to get them, so I didn't have any intention of mindlessly wandering around the mall.  I had no intention of falling prey to the deals and steals with the pretty twinkling lights and shiny tinsel.  I was a chic on a mission with a strategy in hand, but unfortunately, many of the people at the mall were not today, which drove me batty.

After 15 minutes at the mall, I soon realized why I dread Christmas shopping.  I had to put up with the screaming kids who were just over it, the baby strollers blocking the aisles, the people stopping in the middle of the aisles or mall walkways without any warning, and the shoppers who decide to monopolize the salesperson's time by asking whether she can check in the back to make sure that the sweater doesn't come in periwinkle.  Seriously lady...I am sure that cousin Susan will like the lavender sweater, and if not, the store has a reasonable return and exchange policy.

Needless to say, I finished my Christmas shopping today.  I have to admit that I am proud of myself because I waited patiently in long checkout lines and didn't lose it.  I negotiated my way around crowds without making any snarky remarks to those who were causing the pile up.  I even smiled at the woman who monopolized the salesperson's time by making her look for one more silver bell ornament for her.  I was still annoyed though and it reminded me once again this year how stressful Christmas shopping is and how much I need to avoid crowds.  Now that's a bah humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment