Monday, December 12, 2011

RAVE FAVE: Organization Tip for Hair Pins

Finally organized!
I've been meaning to for a very long time to get organized.  I am so tired of seeing my things from hair pins, accessories, jewelry, makeup, and handbags lie scattered though out my room.  It's not total chaos--more like controlled piles of things that belong together, but no real structured organization.

I love to watch videos on YouTube offering organizational tips.  I get ideas and inspiration from these videos, but the motivation doesn't last too long once I start looking at the prices of possible containers, baskets, bins, and furniture.  Then, the question becomes how many containers, baskets, and bins do I need?  I also am aware that I need to get rid of a whole bunch of stuff before I can even begin to organize and reduce the clutter.  Going through my closet and dresser drawers...[sigh]...now, that's going to take even more time.  So, I decided that perhaps I just need to start small and slowly work my way through my controlled chaos.

One area that needs some organization is my hair accessories.  I have accumulated over the years a huge array of pins, elastics, barrettes, and clips.  I've resorted to filling Ziploc bags and have an old Neiman Marcus box full of products that I bought as backups and I haven't touched yet.  Getting a measly bobbie pin in the morning can be a bit of an ordeal.

The containers stack neatly.
Today, while I was meandering through the aisles of Longs Drugs trying to find the plastic forks and spoons, I came across a trio of small plastic square containers.  I immediately thought that these containers would be perfect for my bobbie pins, which at the time, resided in a flat Snoopy tin I got for Christmas with paper trays to separate the different types of pins.

Now, my hair pins have a new home.  I placed my pins in the following manner:

  • U-shaped bobbie pins and flat mini hair clips;
  • Large bobbie pins and alligator clips; and
  • Standard bobbie pins.
The best thing about separating my hair pins into containers is that they stack neatly--one on top of each other.  Now I can easily reach for a bobbie pin without rifling through a box of other hair clips, pins, and accessories.  Also, because the containers are clear, I can quickly find the type of hair pin I need.

The next problem, finding a place to put the containers.  Oh well...baby steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment