Monday, December 5, 2011

RAMBLE: It's Hard Being a Girl...Sometimes

SOURCE:  Google
Isn't there a song called, "I Like Being a Girl?"  I admit it.  I do like being a girl.  There are certain things that women can get away with that men are not able to in quite the same manner.  On the contrary, the same can be said about men over women.  While this debate can go on and on, I also have to admit that sometimes being a woman is not all that it is cracked up to be.

How should I put this delicately without overindulging in too much graphic detail?  Monthly visitor?  The curse?  Aunt Flo coming into town?  Whatever women call it, I am suffering through my "monthly" and am not a very happy camper.

Some women are lucky.  They experience very little discomfort or changes at all.  Hmph!  There are some women who really suffer every month and miss days of work.  Fortunately, I lie somewhere in the middle.  I don't get off scott free, but I don't do serious time either.  Between the menstrual cramps, bloating, and fatigue, I am also experiencing some mean indigestion right now.  I think that's the additional symptom that is causing me the most misery right now.

I've always had a delicate stomach ever since I was a kid.  Only recently (within the past couple of years) did I finally go ahead and get it diagnosed.  My hypochondria was acting up and I needed to get some real answers from a doctor rather than self-diagnosis off of the Internet.  After a really disgusting test involving drinking goopy barium, my doctor diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia, which was causing acid reflux and discomfort.  Stress, spicy foods, orange juice, and lying down four hours after I eat are to be avoided.  Simple to prescribe, just not as simple to follow.

Well, tonight I have a double whammy.  I still like being a girl, but there are just some things or combination of things that I could do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment