Thursday, December 29, 2011

RAMBLE: Rifling Through Baskets

SOURCE:  Google
My zaney encounters continue, but this time at the drugstore.  During the same trip to the drugstore where I bought my two Wet n Wild Coloricon trios (see, previous blog post), I had the oddest run in with the woman standing behind me in the checkout line.

I had a basket full of miscellaneous items that I was relieved to place on top of the checkout counter when I got close to the cashier.  My basket was full and heavy.  The normal procedure at the Downtown Longs is to keep your items in the basket because the cashiers will unload your items as they scan them and then bag everything.  The Downtown Longs is so congested that there is not enough room for you to stack your basket at the front of the checkout counters.  Instead, the cashiers collect the empty baskets next to them behind the counter.

I was the next one in line and excited to be that much closer to getting out of the store when all in a sudden, I felt an odd shiver down my spine.  An older lady in large dark sunglasses with no clue of personal space was standing immediately behind me.  It was way too close to comfort and I could hear and feel her breathing down my neck.  I turned around and flashed her one of my dirtiest of looks.

Obviously, this woman could not take the hint that I wanted her to get her nose out of my personal space because she then rested her hand on the edge of my shopping basket.  Before I knew it, she was starting to RIFLE through the items in my basket!  It was like she was doing her own personal shopping in my basket!  I quickly pulled my basket away from her greedy paws; foolishly thinking that would stop her rude and socially abnormal behavior.  I was wrong.  She then moved with my basket!  Finally, I had enough of this woman and said, "Lady, get your dirty paws out of my basket!"  She didn't say anything in response, but took her hands out of my basket.  She didn't step out of my personal space, but I figured I could put up with that longer than her poking around in my shopping basket.  As I waited for the cashier to scan my items, I took a good look at this woman.  All she had in her hand to purchase was a tube of hemorrhoid cream!

That was just a strange encounter indeed, but after witnessing the men acting like monkeys in the banyan tree on palace grounds and the four homeless guys swinging punches at each other, I really shouldn't be surprised, right?  Well, they say things tend to happen in threes, so hopefully yesterday's zaney encounter will be the third and last for me.  Crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment